Question: What is internet marketing?
Answer: Internet marketing (also called Online Marketing or E-Marketing) is the process of marketing and advertising your product or service online using the internet.
Some of the most common ways that people market this way are through the use of email, websites, social media (like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn, to name just a few). Ecommerce (short for electronic commerce) sites like Amazon use a variety of methods to market books, videos, and just about every kind of product imaginable. Internet marketing can be used all by itself, or it can be combined with other direct marketing and offline marketing efforts like radio ads, television advertisements, buying newspaper ad space, or magazine ads.
Internet Marketing can be broken down into different categories as well.
Here are some of the common categories:
- Email Marketing: One of the oldest forms of internet marketing, sending out emails to your customers and prospective buyers is an excellent way to market your products and services online Some of the popular email marketing companies are Constant Contact, GetResponse, MailChimp, and SendGrid.
- Social Media Marketing: Social Media sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Flikr, YouTube, Reddit, Digg, and Google+ can be used to market your products and services and give your customers a chance to engage you online.
- E-Commerce Marketing: Setting up a website online for the express purpose of taking orders for your products and services falls under ecommerce marketing. It is possible to market your offline services online, without having an online store where purchases can be made. Some of the largest e-commerce stores are Amazon.com and Walmart.com.
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliates are people who have signed up to market another companies products or services for a percentage of the sales. Some of the most popular places to find affiliate offers online are Amazon Associates, Linkshare, Commission Junction, and the eBay partner network.
- Search Engine Marketing: Websites trying to get more exposure to their products and offers work at trying to make their site more search engine friendly. Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of making sure your site is understandable to search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Search engine marketing also covers PPC (Pay Per Click) via Adwords and PPV (Pay Per View) advertising, and really any kind of advertising or marketing that deals directly with the search engines.
- Video Marketing: Mega sites like YouTube are excellent places to upload and distribute your video. Even a simple phone camera can be turned into an excellent marketing tool when it is used to create engaging and entertaining videos that connect with your audience.
- Viral Marketing: The process of specifically aiming to get your customers or the public at large to market your products for you. Often a video or advertisement will go viral via social media as more and more people share content or video that got their attention. It can be difficult to start or stop this kind of marketing, but their are companies that specialize in this style of marketing and using viral campaigns to create brands.
Here are some excellent Internet Marketing quotes to help you better understand what it means to be a successful internet marketer:
It’s much easier to double your business by doubling your conversion rate that by doubling your traffic. – Jeff Eisenberg
Focus on the core problem your business solves and put out lots of content and enthusiasm and ideas about how to solve that problem. – Laura Fitton
Create something people want to share. – John Jantsch
Traditional marketing talks at people. Content marketing talks with them. – Doug Kessler
The paradox is that the more info you give away, the more people will buy what you have to give. – Brian Clark
In today’s Information Age and Web 2.0, a company’s website is the key to their entire business. – Marcus Sheridan
For corporate marketers, podcasting is low hanging fruit. – Paul Gillin
And this last quote comes from someone who had no idea what Internet Marketing was, and may have even asked the same question, “What is internet marketing?”…but he truly would have been great at it, because he had the right philosophy:
Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing. – Benjamin Franklin